First as an idea and then as a nature conservation institution, the Triglav National Park (TNP) entered the history of the Eastern Julian Alps at the beginning of the 20th century. It is among the earliest parks to have been established in the Alps and one of the greatest natural treasures of Slovenia. The highlights of its history include the following: in 1906, the first protection proposal was launched; in 1924 an »Alpine Protection Park« (1,600 ha) was established in the Triglav Lakes Valley; 1961 marks the decree promulgating the Triglav Lakes Valley as the Triglav National Park (2,000 ha) and in 1981 the Law on the Triglav National Park (83,807 ha) was passed.
The park is located in the Julian Alps, in the three-border area between Slovenia, Austria and Italy. The highest point of the park is the summit of Triglav (2,864 m), whilst the lowest point lies in the basins of the Tolminka river (180 m).